Vatnaj÷kull Glacier Voyager
This incredible adventure will take you into Vatnajökull National Park in South East
Iceland and onto the biggest glacier in Europe. We will drive along the South Coast
on the Skaftafell Express Coach and have lunch at the national park entrance before
starting our adventure on the Falljökull Glacier. There we will go for an exploratory
hike on the glacier itself and feel the ancient ice under our feet and all around. High
above us on the outlet glacier looms the massive Vatnajökull glacier in all its
grandeur, a sight not soon forgotten.
Geared up on crampons (metal spikes for the soles of our shoes) we safely walk on
the ice and along the way we witness spectacular ice formations, winding sink holes
and deep ice crevasses. Our specially trained, highly qualified glacier guides will tell
you all about the Vatnajökull Glacier and the rough outlet glaciers, that like the
Falljökull, descend from the main hub, towards the ocean.
From Falljökull we continue onwards and onto the Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon on
Breiðamerkursandur. This place is one of the absolute must sees and there is no
better way to explore it than on one of the strange looking amphibian boats. We´ll find
ourselves gliding between huge icebergs, which constantly break away from the
glacier tongue of Breiðamerkurjökull, producing a wonderworld of ice, hard to
describe with words. After our boat ride we stop for coffee before starting our journey
back to Reykjavík. We offer different kinds of glacier tours, please click here for an overview.
What to wear on your hike and to bring with you:
- Hiking boots: We recommend good hiking boots with ankle support.
- First layer: It is very important to wear wool underwear or other thermal
underwear closest to your body. That is a key factor in preserving your body
temperature during the hike.
- Second layer: We recommend a good fleece sweater or other warm sweater
as a second layer, to wear over your first layer and under your waterproof jacket.
- Hiking pants: We recommend light synthetic hiking pants, which can be worn
over a first layer. Please don't wear jeans.
- WP (waterproof) Jacket & pants: Breathable waterproof jacket and pants are
necessary. Even though it's not raining or snowing when you leave town, it
doesn't mean it won't rain or snow during the day.
- Beanie: Bare head is BAD. Protect your brain, it will provide you with amazing
memories from your hike. Your ears might also appreciate not freezing off on a cold day.
- Gloves: Protect your hands. You want them to stay warm to be able to feel
your camera and take pictures.
- Water and snacks: Bring a bottle of water to drink. It is the fuel for your body
and helps you feel good during your hike. We also recommend you bring
some snacks for the day. Nuts, chocolate and power bars will come in handy.
- Camera: Will help your brain to remember your amazing day out in Iceland.
- Gear rental: The tour operator rents hiking boots and rainwear for a moderate
fee to be paid directly to the tour operator. Please advice in advance if you
would like to rent boots or rainwear.
Min passangers: 1
Duration: 16,5 Hours
1 Jun 2014 - 31 Aug 2014 Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
1 Sep 2014 -15 Sep 2014 Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat
Price: Contact us for Price